PLN objective, Progress on my plan and purpose with English Language Learning:
I feel fortunate that a subbing experience for a special needs kid who happened to be from Burma, (Miramar) has turned into a teaching passion for me. I am constantly amazed at the number of immigrant kids in MNPS schools, who really need the right instruction for getting the English speaking, reading and writing and comprehending thing down. For those of you who aspired to get a job in MNPS, you need to be prepared to do the same thing. Nashville is unique in our size and location. We have been receiving immigrant from other countries by the thousands, and if the UN has their way, the trend will continue. So, now my passion in life for my second career has gone from just helping kids who need a little extra attention in life, to helping those who have even less and to help them adjust to their new life in America on their road to literacy. My ultimate goal is to learn how to teach immigrant children English (ELL). Once there, I plan on becoming a summer missionary to third world counties where I can go for a few weeks at a time to teach English and share my love of Jesus with them and perhaps even help them build a school, or a church or a home. Eventually, as a missionary, I plan to stay for a more than just a few weeks, but that will be further down the road for me. Some how, in the back of my mind, I'm hearing something like two weeks, then two months, then two years. My answer will be yes, Lord, I'll go!
Going to be a missionary would be a wonderful experience. Especially for those who have a love for ELL students. Are you planning on going this summer? There may be a lot of students struggling to learn English in other countries, but there are just as many in the Metro School System. I can see how you have a passion for these students and I am sure that you will be a better teacher because of it. If only all teachers could understand how to work with these students to make them feel comfortable. I can see how if your passion is to spread the word then going to a different country would be the best option. You are still helping students in what you are doing now and hopefully in the job you have in the future.
ReplyDelete