Sunday, April 15, 2012

ELL Thesis Progress, what seems to be working for me?

ELL Thesis Progress, what seems to be working for me? 

          It amazes me that I can spend so much time writing with this thesis.  It is always on my mind and in my subconscious, wishing I were done with it.  I can spend hours working on a paragraph, just looking for a statement of fact that says what I thinking, but based from the work of someone else, that has a PhD or has written a book about the subject.  Fortunately, through the Lila D. Bunch library, I can access a world of scholarly journal articles, which is easily done from my home computer and my Belmont CUB account.  Going thru Academic Search or JSTOR Arts and Science, I type in a potential idea that revolves around ELL.  

        So far I have around 40 scholarly articles that I have used, where I find what someone else has stated, in a scholarly way, and then paraphrase their idea into what I want to say.  Of course “you must give credit where credit is do”, and site their name as a reference.  (I don’t think anyone knows who originally said that, so perhaps it would just be best to say ….unknown)  

         For me, burning the article on my printer so I have a hard copy works best.  When I finish, I'm also looking forward to burning all of my articles in a bon-fire, and singing cum-bi-ya, while eating a somorras. 

          In an article that I read about writing a thesis and using other peoples material, it stated that if you use more than three words from something that was mentioned in a publish article, you have to site it.  Of course you can’t copy verbatim, unless you quote them.  But, your advisors are typically going to advise you to limit your quotes, unless it something that can’t be said any better way, or it relates to a significant piece of work or a finding that has a specific bearing on your topic.  When you do quote, you should limit your quotes to two or three times in a chapter, but don't quote me on this. If you do, I deny that I ever knew you.

          If anyone who happens to read this posting has some ideas to share, let’s hear them.   Somewhere in the future I’ll post something about doing research through Google....dot com! 

No comments:

Post a Comment